Monday, December 13, 2010

Salty Rice (Kiam Png - 咸饭)

After a whole week of obligational McDonalds meal, I was really craving for a simple and light dish.  I remember when I was young, my mum used to hold 2 jobs at one point of time and sometimes she didn't have time to cook so she'll do a one pot dish.  I didn't use to like it very much as I love variety, but over the years I grew to love this simple dish.

I was contemplating if I should blog about this dish as it's really really simple.  I decided to do it the minute I opened the rice pot and smell the familiar fragrance of this simple dish.  So the photos taken today are using Iphone. :P

Ingredients (Serves 2)

1/2 a Chicken (Preferably free range chicken aka Kampong chicken)
5-6 long beans
1/2 a cabbage
dried anchovies (Optional, i didn't add this today)

Cut chicken into pieces
Marinate chicken with salt and let it sit for an hour. (optionally you can also add some sesame oil and chinese rice wine to the marinate)  I went for the simplest way, just salt.
Cut long beans into 2 inch length
Cut cabbage into bite size squares
Wash rice
Use a little lesser water for the rice then usual as the vegetables and chicken have lots of water in them.

Put vegetables and cabbage in the pot.  Sprinkle a pinch of salt, mix well.

Lay the chicken pieces on top of the rice and vegetales.  That way the essence from the chicken will go into the rice as you cook. And you won't wash off too much of the marinate in the rice water too.

Serve with some sambal chilli or just cut chilli with soy sauce.


Bon Appetit
Monica Eng
Singapore

No comments:

Post a Comment