Thursday, February 17, 2011

Oavsiktlig köttbullar - The Accidental Meatballs.

I've been wanting to try make my own swedish meatballs for quite a while.  I've finally found a 5/5 Recipe on the internet.  However being the smart aleck & impatient freak I am sometimes.... I only read the ingredients and assumed the recipe.  It came out absolutely yummy.  While I was writing this blog I realised that I've "cleverly" dumped the ingredients for the sauce into the meatballs as well.  So i decided to make it again the 2nd day....the right way....however, the right way turned out to look nicer then the wrong way but it didn't taste half as good as the ones I made "wrongly" the day before.

So I'm going to give you the ACCIDENTAL version of my meat balls.

 
Oavsiktlig Köttbullar - The Accidental Meatballs

"Rätt" Köttbullar  - The "Right"  one
Ingredients for Meatballs

3/4 pound Mince Pork
3/4 pound Mince Beef
1/4 cup of milk
2 tablespoon of cream
1/4 cup of plain flour
1/2 cup finely chopped onions
2 large egg yolks
one tsp salt
1/2 tsp black pepper
1/4 teaspoon all spice
1/4 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg

Sauce (I was lazy and used the IKEA pre packed sauce instead)
- 3 cups beef broth
- 1/4 cup heavy cream
- 1/4 cup all purpose flour
- Salt and pepper

How to make

Chop onions finely, you can sauteed the onions till it wilts and leave aside.  But I like my onions fresh so I did not.

Put everything in a big bowl.

Knead it for a good 3-5 mins till everything is nicely mixed together.  Put in fridge for 30mins

Roll into round balls

Heat pan with oil or butter if u prefer that extra fragrance.


Fry till golden brown on all sides.

When all the meatballs are done, add flour into remaining oil (Approx 2 tbs)  If too much oil, remove some from pan.  If too little just add some butter.

Whisk till flour dissolves well into the fat.  If you do not do this well, you sauce will have a strong floury smell.  U have to make sure the flour is "cooked".  If over done your sauce will have a weird texture.

Add cream and continue to cook and stir till gravy reaches the right consistency.

Serve with Potatoes (I served it with Janssons Frestalse a delectable and rich potato dish which I will share the next time)

Drizzle gravy over the meatballs with a spoonful of lingonberry jam.


Smaklig måltid
Monica Eng
Singapore

2 comments:

  1. imho, the accidental meatballs definitely better. lol and it more monica- like.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete